Monday, May 26, 2008

Sustainable Living

I have wanted, for SO long, to be able to live in a home powered by solar energy, to live "off the grid", and to grow our own food. Every now and then, reading different things online, I get a little nudge that causes me to learn something new.
I haven't really tried to do much, because we've lived in military housing and haven't been able to DO much. They don't even "allow" us to have a clothes line on our patio- even thought that would save THEM money, because they are the ones paying for our electricity. Also, they encourage us to run the A/C, and tell us to not open the windows because that will clog the filters. ????
They over-irrigate the "landscaping", and don't "allow" us to plant things in the ground on our patio areas. It's SO limiting and frustrating.
I am SO looking forward to living in a new home, and I am hoping and praying that we will find a place we can afford to rent, where we can plant things, and have a clothesline, and build a cob oven, and have solar cookers that the neighbors won't disturb, LOL.

Today, after reading a post and clicking a link, I've been reading lots more stuff about sustainable living. It's been VERY interesting.
How to build a cob oven; how to build different types of solar cookers; rain barrels, etc.

1 comment:

Mom2legomaniacs said...

Okay, I know you have to sign in for mine. But I am not a techno-geek and haven't a clue how to fix it on the xanga to be anything but what it is. The other site is just for when I want to play. But not in the mood anymore, so likely it will sit for a while.

 

Made by Lena